Hugo Updates, S3 and CloudFront

Hugo Updates, S3 and CloudFront

Feb 27, 2020
Hugo, S3

Two days ago I updated Hugo to version 0.65.3 before moving this site from my EC2 to S3. Then I realized that in recent updates, Hugo dropped pygments as a dependency (#4491). As a result, all SAS codes on this site lost syntax highlights, because the highlighter chroma used by Hugo had not yet supported SAS language. After trying different options like using client-side syntax highlighter, I gave up and decided to add SAS support myself for chroma. Having no experience about golang at all, I read the documentation of chroma and successfully added the SAS lexer. Created a PR and it’s merged the next day (PR #337). This was the second time I contributed to open-source projects, and to be honest it felt really good. Considering there’re also STATA codes on this site, I’ll add STATA lexer for chroma soon.

Then I updated the dependency in Hugo and built it locally, which worked like a charm. Following some online tutorials, this site is now deployed and hosted on S3 and I’m using CloudFront as CDN. It should be much faster to access globally. I also removed Google Ads since it’s really not making any money, about $29 for half a year. Better to have a nice and clean personal site, ad-free!

comments powered by Disqus